Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Why it Matters


Why does it matter?

I have to admit that the stimulus for this post is my sense of frustration at my inability to motivate cadets in our squadron to take interest in activities that I think are important and intellectually challenging. Case in point- for almost two years I have been encouraging cadets to attend the astronomy program offered Thursdays on dark nights, about twice a month at the Yuma Public Library Foothills Branch. So far, two senior members and one cadet have ever shown up. The library has been innovative in using income raised from donated book sales to purchase telescopes and associated equipment. Make no mistake, these are good telescopes with high quality lenses, GPS trackers, and even astrophotography capabilities. Astronomy staff are enthusiastic, affable, knowledgeable, and dedicated to education of attendees. Each session offers a number of perfect opportunities for learning moments. I believe it is a shame to squander such resources.

Last Thursday was an astronomy night. It was a bit warm out but skies were clear and conditions were good for viewing the heavens. The moon was just past the first quarter. But, I have to admit that I have my share of evenings when I just want to stretch out on the couch and veg out. I was tempted to stay home. I had been out the two previous weeks and I was not optimistic that I would see or learn anything new. Nevertheless, I feel a friendly bond with the library staff and want to support their dedication. So, on that basis alone, I decided to make the twenty minute drive despite my inertia. My expectation bias (Having a strong belief or mindset toward a particular outcome) was shattered.

While waiting for evening twilight to fade to a dark sky we studied the moon using filtered eyepiece lenses to modulate lunar brightness. The Sea of Tranquility was easily spotted and we viewed a small, bright crater near the Apollo 11 landing site. This was of particular interest because next month marks the 50 year anniversary of America’s first moon landing. The filtered eye pieces were especially useful for studying the bright, nearby gas giant planet, Jupiter. Prior to that night I had never directly seen the colored cloud bands on the planet so clearly. The four Galilean moons of Jupiter Io, Ganymede, Europa, and Calisto, discovered by Galileo in 1610, appeared in a straight line above the planet’s surface. One of the library volunteers, Ken, mentioned that Jupiter is currently being studied by the NASA/JPL probe Juno. I had heard about Juno but never paid much attention to its mission. More on this later.

We had looked at Messier 51, the Whirlpool Galaxy on previous nights through a variety of telescopes. On this night though the astrophotography unit set up and was aimed at M51. Astrophotography merges multiple images digitally and enhances the light from distant objects. The resulting pictures of Jupiter as viewed on the laptop computer were not as good as those published on the Internet but they were still spectacular, especially when color shading was added. Astrophotography was equally useful at resolving images of galaxies M81 (Bode’s galaxy) and M82 (Cigar galaxy) that otherwise appear as dim smears of light through available telescope eye pieces.

So my experiences of the evening pleasantly far exceeded my limited expectations. On my way home though I thought about Juno, the man-made satellite orbiting Jupiter. What did I really know about it? Almost nothing. Thus began an Internet search when I got home. I found way more than 2 hours of video content that explained the mission, the design of the probe, and the various instrument packages it uses to accomplish the goals of the mission. Goals that include studying how our early solar system formed, the conformation and origin of Jupiter’s magnetic field, the content and structure of the Jovian atmosphere, the aurorae at Jupiter’s poles, and how a visible light camera on Juno provides data for anyone to use to create images of the planet. Now I know a whole lot more about planetary science and our universe than I ever expected to know when I got into my car to make the 20 minute journey east.

Our education system programs many to expect to be spoon-fed information and knowledge. But our best learning, especially as adults, is spawned by curiosity and is fulfilled by self-study. I believe that our journey through life is more enjoyable if we dedicate and commit ourselves to self-motivated, life-long learning. I hope more will give it a try.

1 comment:

  1. I and other share this concern. Over the past two years, 508's outstanding AE program is the direct result of your generous donation of large amounts of time, supplies, and financial support. The deputies and I are going to collect, analyze, and share written cadet feedback to determine possible methods to illustrate the importance of STEM and Aerospace Education and to take better advantage of the great learning opportunities available to them in this excellent program. Don't give up, Major Kaye, we will reach them!

    ReplyDelete